Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Frieze Ice Cream Factory

Yet again, I did my homework before heading out to Miami and found out that I have to try The Frieze Ice Cream Factory (1626 Michigan Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 Tel: 305-538-0207). I actually did not read a review of the ice cream. I just read about some of the flavors that they offer--Indian mango and lychee, and I was completely sold.

The Frieze Ice Cream Factory

We aimed at 4 scoops per visit starting with Indian Mango, Lychee, Papaya, and Rosewater sorbet. The Frieze got us hooked. Of the four sorbets on our first try, lychee was our favorite. Although it was obviously made from canned lychees (the tougher texture of the canned lychee flesh gives it away), each spoonful of the sorbet tasted like biting into a juicy ball of lychee. The Indian Mango has fruitastic quality. Somehow, I just could not taste the papaya in the papaya sorbet. Papaya usually has such a distinct scent, but it got lost somewhere in the sorbet process. When there's rose flavored anything on a menu, it's a sure thing that I'm going to like it. There's such a deeply rooted rose bias with me that there's really no need for me to discuss how great the rosewater sorbet is.

Papaya, Lychee, Indian Mango, and Rosewater Sorbet
The following evening, we ordered 2 scoops of ice cream-Pistachio and Rum Raisin--and 2 scoops of sorbet--Blueberry and Ginger-Pear. All ridiculously delicious. I resented not being able to bring a couple pints home with me. Like Cole's Peace's bread and pastries, the ice cream and sorbet rely on the natural deliciousness of the ingredients. The ginger-pear tasted like minced ginger straight from the cutting board.

Pistachio and Rum Raisin Ice Cream and Blueberry and Ginger-Pear Sorbet
Sadly, my visits to The Frieze had to end, and we parted ways with Green Tea ice cream, Pineapple, Champagne, and Lychee sorbet. I can only hope that Robert opens another parlour in Austin, Texas. A random place, I know, but hot, treeless Texas needs a Frieze!
Green Tea Ice Cream and Pineapple, Champagne, Lychee Sorbet

No comments:

Post a Comment