Thursday, June 11, 2009

Me So Hungry-Offensive Trailer Art and Name, Good Take on the Banh Mi

When I was a kid growing up in Sugar Land, TX, I've encountered my share of racism. I remember that kids used chime "Japanese, Chinese, Korean" while pulling the muscles around the eyes for various "Asian effects." I can't accept this.

I'm glad to see that other folks see the vulgarity in the marketing concoction of the S. Lamar trailer, Me So Hungry. See first comment: http://www.yelp.com/biz/me-so-hungry-austin

Why would a trailer serve Asian fusion and yet offend the very cultures, from which it takes inspiration? I stopped by the trailer because I was curious about whether the food will meet my low expectations of a food trailer with an Asian woman kneeling in a seductively short qipao.

I ordered the banh mi because it's a deceptively simple food item that so many Vietnamese banh mi stores get wrong as noted on my Battle of the Banh Mi post. Keeping in mind that it's fusion, this was a pretty good banh mi. The BBQ pork is super lean and flavorful. It has a nice firm texture. The pickeled carrots were fresh. This is important because I've had banh mis where the pickeled daikon and carrots were spoiled. I enjoyed the big slices of cucumbers and the sweet cilantro mayo. I would prefer the bread to be slightly smaller and not toasted.

BBQ Pork Banh Mi
So what I don't get is why the owners of this trailer feels the need to have a schtick when they are capable of serving good food. Please reconsider the message you're sending out.

1 comment: