Saturday, November 28, 2009

Stuffed Cremini Mushrooms and Mushroom Soup from Extra Mushroom Stuffing

I used a Williams-Sonoma Thanksgiving appetizer recipe to create this version of stuffed mushrooms. I made some changes along the way and improvised a mushroom soup with the extra mushroom stuffing.
Being an anti-recipe chef wannabe, I couldn't help the occassional rebellious impulse while following this stuffed mushroom recipe especially when I already taught myself to make kick-ass stuffed mushrooms. But you know what? I learned a great trick (or perhaps it's supposed to be common knowledge) from abiding by this recipe on the whole.

The recipe says to steam the mushroom caps before stuffing to get rid of the moisture so that when you bake the mushrooms, they wouldn't get all soggy. This is a fantastic trick! Not only did my mushrooms remain juicy yet unsoggy, I was able to make a delicious mushroom soup from the mushroom water that was drained out of the mushrooms from the steaming process!

Draining Steamed Mushroom Caps
I used prosciutto instead of serrano ham and low-fat sour cream instead of creme fraiche for the stuffing.

Mushroom Stuffing: Prosciutto, Garlic, Sage, Parsley, Bread Crumbs, Sour Cream, Dash of Salt & Pepper, and Chopped Mushroom Stems
For the soup, I boiled the water I used to steam the mushrooms and poured the juices drained from the mushrooms after they were steamed into the boiling pot. After I stuffed all the mushrooms, I dumped the leftover mushroom stuffing mixture into the mushroom water, add white wine, and whatever vegetables you have sitting in the fridge (I added shredded carrots).

Mushroom Stuffing Soup


Cremini Mushrooms Stuffed with Prosciutto, Sage, and Parsely

1 comment: