Wednesday, March 3, 2010

2009 Austin Restaurant Week: Jeffrey's

So Spring 2010 Austin Restaurant Week began on Sunday (Feb. 18th-March 3rd and March 7th-10th).  As I scrolled through the list of participating restaurants and spotted Jeffrey's, I realized how I never posted about my dinner there one night during the 2009 Austin Restaurant Week!

It was a beautiful meal.  The presentation of each dish was impeccable and the food was solid but did not excite my taste buds like I thought it would from the menu descriptions.

The amuse bouche was a tiny ball of fried lemongrass broth.  I think anyone would get excited by the idea of fried soup!  Well, there was more batter than broth, and I could not taste the lemongrass.

Amuse Bouche- Fried Lemongrass Broth

I ordered the crispy bone marrow for the first course and enjoyed composing tartines from the triangles of bread and condiments of mustard, pickles, and herb salad with the fried bone marrow.  This dish was divine.
Crispy Bone Marrow -Fried Bone Marrow with house-made pickles, fine herb salad, house mustard, country bread

Condiments of mustard, pickles, and herb salad; Fried bone marrow

Bone Marrow on Bread

I expected a lot from the main course of halibut cheek.  The halibut was well cooked and tasted light and creamy, but I did not understand the role of the peas in the dish.  It was not easy to eat with the fish nor was it easy to eat it separately as it was awkward to scoop up or pierce with the fork. 

Halibut Cheeks -sweet pea glacage, celery remoulade, pea-mushroom relish

The dessert was a disappointment.  I did not detect the slightest flavor of lemon in the meyer lemon crepe dumplings. I hate when an ingredient is wasted because the flavor is muted or completely overpowered by another, in this case, the blackberry brandy sauce.  Perhaps a regular lemon that is tarter than the meyer can stand up to the sweetness of the sauce.

Meyer Lemon Crepe Dumplings - burnt caramel bay leaf ice cream, blackberry brandy sauce

The current Jeffrey's Austin Restaurant Week menu is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment