Saturday, December 14, 2013

Versatile Pomegranate Seeds

 
 
I was first introduced to pomegranate seeds by a Thai co-worker 6 years ago and was pleasantly surprised by the juiciness and crunch.  But I didn't have the confidence to cook with it until my DC housemate, Jamie, and I put our feet down and decided to incorporate pomegranate seeds into our cooking.

Once, I accidentally cut open a hard, unripe avocado.  Avocados are expensive so I tried to think of ways to salvage the fruit.  I originally wanted to make guacamole so in a similar vein, I thought that I could make a crunchy avocado salsa and substitute tomatoes with pomegranate seeds.  I tossed them with lime juice, salt and pepper, seedless cucumbers, and chopped scallions.  It turned out sublime!

Crunchy Avocado, Cucumber, and Pomegranate Salsa

Another successful use of pomegranate seeds is Pomegranate and Rose Water Rice.  I found a delicious-looking rosewater nut pilau recipe but didn't have all the ingredients.  I cooked short-grain Japanese rice, which is softer and stickier than basmati, with rosewater.  When the rice was done, I fluffed the rice with pomegranate seeds and toasted almond slices.  I paired the rice with Za'atar seasoned chicken legs and roasted asparagus. 

Rosewater Pomegranate Rice with Za'atar Chicken and Asparagus

Rosewater Pomegranate Rice
 
When I got an ice cream machine, the first ice cream Mike and I made was vanilla ice cream with pomegranate seeds.  Frozen pomegranate seeds are delicious, but Mike and I have to find a better vanilla ice cream recipe before I share with you the recipe.  

Pomegranate Vanilla Ice Cream
 

No comments:

Post a Comment